Monday, December 17, 2007

Wikis, Online Applications & Tools

I already knew a bit about Wikipedia, but not much else about Wikis. I have now learnt that Wiki means "quick" in Hawaiian, and that Wikis are quick because the processes of reading and editing are combined. They are also in a constant state of change because anyone can add, delete or modify the information contained within them (creators may even deliberately leave gaps, hoping that someone else will fill them in).
Unfortunately, this also means that the information added to them is not necessarily correct!
After exploring some of the library wikis, I think one of their best uses could be as a collaborative tool in the sharing of best practice ideas, as in the Library Outreach Wiki.
http://libraryoutreach.pbwiki.com/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Computador, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://computador-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.